Fall 2014 has been a busy time for NYDesigns and our residents. Below you will find some highlights of the events and other accomplishments of our staff and residents this fall. For more updates follow us on Twitter and Facebook.
NYDESIGNS INITIATIVES + EVENTS
This fall NYDesigns launched #makingQUEENS — a fall 2014 initiative by NYDesigns featuring a series of events and presentations that explore all the types of creative making that take place in the borough of Queens. These events are part of NYDesigns’ ongoing effort to understand who is making (in) Queens — highlighting diversity in the design and maker communities in our borough.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
Making Cities Symposium
On September 20th NYDesigns welcomed the participants of Making Cities I3: Innovation, Incubation, Inclusion to our space. The event is a collaborative effort of The New School; the School of Architecture, Design, and Urban Planning (FADU) and the School of Social Sciences (FSC) of the University of Buenos Aires (UBA); and the School of Architecture of Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok, Thailand.
On Twitter: Image 1 || Image 2 || Image 3
NYDesigns is proud to have participated, along with thousands of makers, in this year’s World Maker Faire NY on September 20th and 21st. Our space at Maker Faire included interactive activities such as puzzles with the neighborhoods and community boards of Queens.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION
New York’s Next Top Makers
Open House NY
On October 11th NYDesigns participated in this year’s Open House New York. On a rainy day we hosted over 50 people who met our residents, including: Vengo!, MTWTF, HUXHUX, and Bhold.
SEE IMAGES OF SITE VISITS
On Twitter: Image 1
- Automata will be at American Field on Nov 22 & 23, 10am – 6pm, at Industry City in Sunset Park.
- Automata will also be featured at Pop Up Flea from December 12-14.
- Bhold launches a kickstarter for the Bheard Sound Pod – Better Acoustics for Your Phone
- Bhold partners with Ultimaker
- Crypsa launches an indiegogo campaign
- Crypsa recently held a networking event and a screening of The Rise and Rise of Bitcoin at NYDesigns
Czeck + Webley
- Harvest season is still happening on many of Czeck + Webley’s terraces. This one on West 86th Street has abundant figs, flowering rosemary and pyracantha berries.
- It was Czeck + Webley Landscape’s 2-year birthday on October 3rd. They had a little get-together with staff, contractors and the many people who helped them out along the way. (image)
- C+W installed a waterfront garden in Connecticut using all salt-tolerant perennials just north of New Haven. They aren’t ready to release any photos of the space until it fills in next spring, but here is a view of the water from the site with a slice of Frank Pepe’s white clam pizza.
- Living Breakwaters wins Buckminster Fuller Institute’s 2014 Fuller Challenge. MTWTF is part of the Living Breakwaters team led by Kate Orff / SCAPE.
- Janette Kim’s ARPA Journal, designed by MTWTF, will share a release party with the new Avery Journal, designed by Nothing in Common, at the Storefront for Art and Architecture on Thursday, November 13th.
- Mabel Wilson, Kadambari Baxi and Jordan Carver’s WBYA / Who Builds Your Architecture? installation launches at the 1st Istanbul Architecture Biennial. Design assistance from MTWTF.
- MTWTF is participating in the Architecture League and Center for an Urban Future’s “Re-Envisioning New York Branch Libraries” with SITU studio.
- Valentine Goods was mentioned in a story on Vogue : The Tinder Date Outfit That Will Have Him Swipe Right
- VG will also be a part of the Moda Operandi Gift Guide this holiday season.
- Vengo was featured in Queens Wants in on NYC’s Tech Boom on WNYC
- Vengo has started assembling 250 4th-generation vengos!