Founded in 2006, NYDesigns is dedicated to the success of design and hardware tech startups in NYC. Companies in our incubator get three years of private studio space and access to a network of mentors and advisers. Makers can prototype their design ideas in our safe, secure, 5,000-sq-ft fabrication lab. We produce events and programs for a thriving community of creators and innovators. NYDesigns is a program of LaGuardia Community College.
Western Queens Tech Zone Strategic Plan
On June 28th, Queens Borough President Melinda Katz unveiled the first Western Queens Tech Zone Strategic Plan entitled Live, Work, Create: A Roadmap for Equitable Growth of the Western Queens Tech Ecosystem. Long Island City tech leaders Tristan Bel, Executive Director of NYDesigns, and Gail Mellow, President of Laguardia Community College, were announced as committee members.
Introducing The UniProject
Sam & Leslie Davol of Street Lab, commonly known on the streets as The Uni Project, joined the NYDesigns incubator program in May 2018. Check out our newly relaunched blog to learn how these two design dynamites are changing the way children and parents interact with reading, science, math, art, and design.
Meet Desiree Frieson
Desiree joined NYDesigns in June 2018 as Assistant Director overseeing programming and marketing. If you are interested in joining our volunteer mentor and advisor network, or lead a lunch & learn discussion. please introduce yourself to her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
New strategists and mentors
In Q1 & Q2 of 2018, Tamecca Seril and Michael Lightman joined NYDesigns as our first-ever Strategist in Residences, a strategic coaching program made possible through a New York State Innovation Hot Spot Grant. Tamecca and Mike coach our nine in-house resident companies on their business model, sales, marketing, fundraising, and financial management strategies. If you want to discuss your design or hardware focused startup, RSVP below for an upcoming office hour with both Tamecca and Mike.
Sophie Lefebvre joined the NYDesigns volunteer mentor and advisor network in June 2018. She is a New York based strategist, product development and product marketing leader. Sophie leads the full lifecycle experience, from ideation, strategy and creative vision, to detailed execution and launches, of emerging and global B2C and B2B companies and brands.
Rent a Dedicated Desk for $350/mo.
If you’re looking to upgrade your space for a team of 3+ people, inquire below about a private studio and our incubation program.
Laser Cutting 101
Tuesday, July 10
6:00 – 9:00 PM
NYDesigns is hosting this beginner workshop to get acquainted with how to use a laser cutter. Got some great ideas for jewelry, art, or the next big breakthrough in hardware? Learn the basics to get your project off the ground.
Tuesday, July 24
6:00 – 9:00 PM
Walkway from this workshop with your own custom designed candle holder after you learn woodworking techniques such as: sanding, gluing, fabrication, and clamping.
Tell all your program buddies & dudettes NYDesigns is hiring a Program Assistant. Here are some highlights of the position:
- Support the team in marketing, recruitment, and other general administrative activities
- Assist in processing invoices, payment requests, and contracts by compiling appropriate documents
Space and Event Management:
- Coordinate space use for NYDesigns residents and partners, as well as some of LaGuardia’s other programs and departments
- Coordinate logistics for on-site and off-site events to ensure smooth functioning of activities, including coordinating schedules, identifying vendors, and placing orders for supplies and services
- Coordinate facilities maintenance tasks, interfacing with building and grounds as needed.
Data and Record Management:
- Lead management of client growth data, including gathering, storage, and reporting
- Manage client and partner records, including license agreements, insurance documentation, fabrication lab waivers, memoranda of understanding, vendor contracts, etc.
- Minimum of associate’s degree required, bachelor’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in area related to office/administrative support or program coordination
- Strong ability to think ahead, take initiative, and work both independently and as a team member